June is not only the start of summer, it’s also Great Outdoors Month - a national celebration of the amazing landscapes and waterways of our expansive country!
From the Presidential Proclamation:
For generations, America’s great outdoors have ignited our imaginations, bolstered our economy, and fueled our national spirit of adventure and independence. During Great Outdoors Month, we rededicate ourselves to experiencing and protecting
these unique landscapes and treasured sites.
From sea to shining sea, the U.S. is full of spectacular sites to explore and enjoy. Join us this month for our newest HolisticLiving Challenge: Enjoy the Great Outdoors!
Take the challenge and share your experience for a chance to win great prizes from holistic companies that will further support you on your holistic living journey!
Here are the details:
Challenge: Enjoy the Great Outdoors!
Directions: Make plans, big or small - whatever works for you and your family. The one thing we strongly encourage is that regardless of what types of activities or vacations you might plan, take a little time each and every day to get outside. Whether it’s a walk around the block or a picnic in your backyard - enjoy whatever bits of nature you can every day this month.
Here are more ideas and resources:
● Use the National Wildlife Federation’s NatureFind tool to help you locate fun places with cool wildlife that will connect you with nature and reduce the stress in your life.
● Try Geocaching! GEOCACHING is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS and can then share their experiences online.
● Plant a tree. Learn which trees are right for your area, how to plant them, and more from the Arbor Day Foundation.
● Do some cloud watching or stargazing.
○ Learn about the types of clouds and where to spot them from The Cloud Appreciation Society (or just watch them and use your imagination to find fun shapes in the clouds!)
○ Check out the One-Minute Astronomer’s Guide to Stargazing for some basics about the night sky. And, on June 23, enjoy the biggest full moon of 2013 when the moon will arrive at its closest point to the Earth, making it a “supermoon!”
● Have a nature scavenger hunt. Go Explore Nature has a great tutorial for customizing your own fun hunt.
● Go camping. Find a location and learn tips from Go Camping America.
● Connect with your local Holistic Moms Network chapter to learn what other moms are trying and get tips for your challenge. Not a member? Sign-up today!
● Join the weekly #HolisticMoms Twitter Parties on Tuesdays at 10est/7pst to connect with other moms and learn what they’re doing!
Here are events happening across the nation that you can participate in:
● June 1-9: National Fishing and Boating Week. During National Fishing and Boating Week find a fishing and boating spot near you so you can hit the water. Learn to fish or improve your skills by checking out their how-to information.
● June 8: National Get Outdoors Day - a new annual event to encourage healthy, active outdoor fun. Participating partners will offer opportunities for American families to experience traditional and nontraditional types of outdoor activities.
● June 22: Great American Backyard Campout. Join thousands of people across the nation who will gather in their backyards, neighborhoods, communities and parks to take part in a one-night FREE event that will provide an experience for all generations to connect with nature.
● June 24-27: Great Outdoors America Week. Great Outdoors America Week is the preeminent event celebrating our collective connection to the great outdoors while advocating for its future. As one of the largest annual conservation and outdoor focused events in Washington DC, GO Week raises awareness around outdoors issues, brings together hundreds of diverse organizations and activists to meet with lawmakers and administrators to advocate for our outdoor way-of-life.
Share your experience for a chance to win great prizes! Enter for a chance to win!